Friday, October 27, 2023

For Bill

I burst into fragments 
of myself
when you died. 

The child that needed a dad
who changed their oil 
and kept his promises. 

The adult that gained a new 
perspective on work
and life
and what it's like to live solidly 
with regret. 

The model of a partner 
that sticks it out
for a presence on the couch,
in hardware stores,
and at our door. 

The "retired people" person
if only just beginning
to walk down the path
of becoming. 

I entwine our stories 
because I don't know what it's like
to love so fiercely 
and be loved 
without condition,
without placeholder,
or hierarchy. 

I close my eyes and see you at Christmas,
terrifically proud,
of your electrical switches, 
capable of turning off or on;
your face lit up:
pure joy at having "lost" the gift exchange. 

As my eyelids lift, 
I hold my palms open
hoping that you have found rest;
the absence of pain;
the presence of peace.

Love,
your daughter, in practice.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home