Sunday, September 24, 2023

a play in ounces IV

Since I was six, I've gotten lost 
in the sensation of being wanted 
by you.  
Desperation feels more comfortable
than comfort. 
5th grade and I will tell you
anything you want to hear
as long as we are across state lines; 
I am 16 and female and yours. 

I've worn your identity
like it was meant for me. 
I am terrified that no "me" exists
when I'm not being you. 

I am too clumsy. 
I am too fat. 
I am too quiet. 
I cry too much. 
I am the great paradox. Too much and 
never enough. 

They like building me: 
my arms and legs,
my torso. 
I dance like squirming, on display;
I stop moving in private.
Stiff as a board, light as a feather. 

I am made to be critiqued. 
Roll up your sleeves. 
Hide your back.
You, as a child, are what they've always wanted to be. 
("You are perfect,
I hate you.")
So they destroy you;
and in doing,
crown themselves victorious. 

You watch the laundry pile up. 
More comfortable in old clothes
for fear of a stain. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home