Sunday, December 31, 2023

tightrope wire walker crossing the sea

I don't know how to miss you.
The thought is salt water:
cold where it meets my eyelids;
rough against my shins 
as I brace against the tide. 

I have this idea 
of an alternate universe. 

I haven't let myself linger there 
for fear of a collapse,
like Alice,

down and down and down and 
never stopping
until the amphetamines whisper, 
"let's go home together." 

As if I could be yours and mine 
at the same time. 
As if I could play at being the most wanted person in the universe. 

As if everyone loved me. 
As if I was finally a creature 
made to be adored.

Darling, the pedestal I put you on
is the one I've never reached. 

I wonder what it would be like
to love you from such a height. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home