Sunday, August 21, 2005

I only put pen to paper twice on my 2-week-long expedition. How sad. Here they are:


Symphony #62: Melody for Heartbreak

Feet slip down off rickety steps
and walk through beaded meadow grass.
Broken kaleidoscopes and shiny metal,
a melody for her heartbreak, heart take
a breath and relieve firefly sighs
from crushed rib cages. A rhyme to
tick tock time and rewind spaces;
pockets of eclectic watches and eyelashes
dipped in hard molasses.
I saw you steal a kiss from a King.
I saw you under moonlight when
moonlight was all you needed to be
effervescent. Too tired now to lift
the glasses, tinted shades of reflections,
hollowed in their shells. Too tired,
so you lay down flat in the oil spilled
black from your toenails
when you couldn't sleep. And you befell
the longest step, thrown to the ashes
by the Great King,
himself.



A 12 Dollar Ticket

Faces etched in stone,
screaming a pearled echoing silence
in dimly lit museums,
where children pass.
Paintings muted and bleeding
down the walls, as women
tutter acknowledging words and men
light ashen cigarettes;
pushing towards the end,
ignoring tapered velvet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely stuff! I think you have a magnificent sense of flow. This work seems to lack the awkwardness that is blatantly exhibited in the work of some poets (such as me, for example). Style-wise I find I love what I've seen of your stuff. You seem to be one of those people who can just find the right word... and the word effervescent makes me think of Mingus Tourette and smile. I found the second poem to be nice but it has nothing on the first one which is just wonderful and also happens to have a simply awesome title. Write on!

Mike

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home