Tuesday, November 01, 2005

This is a variation of my last post.


And as she flew away with the others, she said,
"Yours is a world not worth fighting for."

And all the stars
collapsed and
fell
to earth.

The light blinded me
until I could no longer see
her eyes, as the last
of their tears fell down to the heavens.

She tried to speak over the sound of the stars
slicing through the sky.

"Don't be afraid. You won't...,"
her voice trembled and softened,
"...you won't feel a thing."

She leaned down.
I could tell because she had now placed a hand
on my cheek and kissed my forehead,
warm tears pressed tight against me.
I fought for her life
but she pushed me away.

"It has to be this way."

The heat of her hand
on my cheek grew,
but, as she released it,
I knew the heat was from above.
I could hear the world
screaming,
tilting,
and screeching
eerily like a gigantic hull
as they cut through Tokyo, France and Brazil.

And I felt the warmth
and I could taste the molecules
of star dust that were really ashes
from the fires that they had started.

And I knew she would be leaving soon,
and that I would join the others.
Only her prescence kept me safe
from the chaos below.
But I knew that it had already started,
as I fell from her grip
and the heat became unbearable.

And I wondered where she would go now
that earth could no longer be her home.

She had said something about
the edge
of the universe,
and I thought,

as the world vaporized,
maybe I would meet her there.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously your fictional writings give the poem quite a specific context and explanation, but the poem alone made me think of university, oddly enough. That thought of someone being left behind by another person going to pursue their dream and purpose in life... argh, this poem is just too much like my freaking life! But you already know that story. Thank you for the fresh perspectives. You may carry on being awesome. I will write you soon.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home