Saturday, June 11, 2005

The lighting was skewed in tones of blue and green hues. Her eyes were inquisitive as she stared not 5 centimeters from his face into his closed eyes. Her hair draped down the nape of her neck and spilled down to graze his cheeks. The room was silent except for the rain trickling down the window pane, and the way her breathing intermingled with his, as she rested in his arms on the small mattress.
"Where do you go when you sleep?" Her voice played in the air like chimes in the wind, hinting at something sweet, like liquor down your throat.
An eye opened on the boy, his voice tired, "I don't know..." Then, after a moment's silence, "You dream, I guess."
"What's it like?"
A heavy echoing sigh that trickled down his throat like the rain outside, "What do you mean?"
"What's it like to dream?"
He rolled over and stretched his arms above his head, "It's okay, I guess. It's like a whole other world, you know?"
"No...I don't."
"I suppose you wouldn't." He turned to gaze into her kaleidoscope eyes and shuddered before turning away.
"I didn't mean to be like this."
"I know."
"Do you?" Her eyes focused on his with a boring intensity.
"No, not really, I guess." The wall kept his attention as he spoke, his voice faltering only slightly.
"I want so much to know what it's like...to dream." She ran her fingers through her multi-coloured hair and closed her eyes, "I don't even know the light from the dark anymore."
"I'm sorry."
"Are you?"
"No."
"Do you love me?" The rain echoed the silence, tapping at the window like a pendulum, a steady reminder of how the tempo has changed.
"I love everything about you."
"But do you love me?"
"Yes."
"In colour?"
"Yes. I love you in every shade."
She peeled herself off the bed and walked over to the window. Her skirt was resting crooked on her hips and shone an elastic-blue. Her screaming-pink shirt was loose and hung over her arms but was cut off at her stomach. Her stockings were neon green and were disjointed around her knees. Bare feet touched brown carpet and she stretched them out to hold her up like a dancer of graceful arts. She placed one bracelet-covered arm up to the window and then moved to press her cheek against the pane. "I'm only real when it rains. Rain is fair. It chooses to touch every soul, and doesn't choose only the privileged. The rain, like love, defines the world and how it's supposed be. I wish I could be a raindrop, fallen from the sky. A blessed gifted thing that turns into a dancing, crystal figure when winter comes. I wish I could fall and splatter against the cheek of a lost soul and give them hope in finding life in this harsh world. I wish I could help them see the light, so that they won't become like me."
"It's not your fault." The boy sat up and looked sadly at the girl.
"And is it God's?"
"It's a gift."
"A gift...a gift to live life through darkness and never be able to see the truth. Is that a gift? I would rather be the rain..."
"Don't..."
She sighed and walked over to him, her arms reaching for his as she fell onto the bed, "Tell me about your dreams."

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home