Sunday, November 07, 2004

Re-posts

Once when I was alive,
I knew a girl named Penny Sue.
She wasn't there a lot, but somehow I knew
just how much she loved me
and how much I loved her.
One time she came into my room
with a gash on her cheek.
I asked her what had happened and
she said she was being clumsy
and told me to go to sleep.
One time I had seen him hit her,
and had questioned her,
about it.
She had told me that I was
too young to understand.
I told the butterflies in my dreams that something was wrong
and they agreed.
A bright yellow one with spots on its wings told me
that I should be strong
and fight for Penny Sue,
because she couldn't fight for herself.
So I did.
It was late that night and the tv had said a storm was coming,
the weatherman didn't know just how real that would be
in my house.
Once when I was afraid,
I would cry and she would come running,
my Penny Sue.
But I knew now, I would have to be the one who was strong
and dried her tears.
Once I knew what happiness was,
but that was before the purples and blues stained her skin.
So I tried to be brave,
if just for her.
I wore my superman cape,
because once,
a long time ago,
you had said it made me strong
and told me that I would always be your hero.
I wanted to be your hero most tonight.
I wanted to save you from what made you weak.
Once when I was brave,
I had heard the fighting
from my place on the stairs
and I put on my cape and flew down to your rescue.
I told him to stop
but he just hit you more
I raised up my voice and said it again.
This time he stopped and looked at me.
I knew he wouldn't recognize me,
because tonight I was Superman.
He must not have recognized me,
because he got a darkness in his eyes,
and grabbed a poker from the fireplace.
He said he would kill me,
and he must've been right,
because you screamed and told him to stop.
I didn't really feel the pain,
I just wanted you to stop screaming.
Once when I was alive,
I wanted to be your hero.
Maybe I was just
too young to understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home